Home > Lettings > FAQs


Can I enter my property during the tenancy?

You need to give the tenant appropriate notice before you enter the property.

Do I need to get my electrical appliances tested?

Yes from 1 December 2015 all landlords in Scotland must make sure electrical safety checks are carried out on all electrical installations and appliances in private rented property. 

Do I require CO Alarms?

Yes Private landlords in Scotland are required by law to ensure that a rented house meets the repairing standard at the start of a tenancy and throughout a tenancy. One part of the repairing standard is that the house has satisfactory provision for giving warning if CO gas is present in a concentration that is hazardous to health.

Do I require smoke alarms and heat sensors?

Yes One functioning smoke alarm in the room which is frequently used by the occupants for general daytime living purposes, One functioning smoke alarm in every circulation space, such as hallways and landings and one heat alarm in every kitchen please note all alarms should be interlinked.

Does a landlord need to pay tax on rental income?

All landlords could be liable to pay tax on their rental income, whether they live in the UK or are based overseas. Further information can be found on the Inland Revenue’s website.

How do I check my furniture is compliant?

You must ensure that all furnishings comply with furniture and furnishing regulations. All compliant furniture must display standard labels in a prominent position. This is to reduce the risk of fire within the property.

How do I know what rent to charge?

Ask a letting agent to value your home. At Ross & Liddell we’re experts in the market, so we can tell you how other rental properties are doing in the area, and what kind of yield you can hope to expect. Why not Book a free no obligation rental valuation with Ross & Liddell.

How do I receive my rental income from my letting agent?

If you choose a Fully Managed service, we will organise for the tenant to pay the rent via standing order or direct debit. We will then transfer the money to your account minus our commission and any outgoings or fees (such as maintenance work fees). You will receive a statement every month.

If you choose Tenant Find Only service, we will organise for the tenant to pay the first payment of rent + deposit to Ross & Liddell, We will then transfer the money to your account minus our commission and any outgoings or fees (such as maintenance work fees). You will receive a statement

Please note you as the landlord will have to transfer the deposit to your preferred custodial scheme unless otherwise arranged with a member of Ross & Liddell staff.


How much will it cost me to let my property?

This really depends on how much support you need. At Ross & Liddell we offer two services: Tenant Find and Fully Managed. Each involves a different degree of service from us and the fees we charge reflect this. 

I want to let my property. Do I need to tell my mortgage lender?

Yes. Your mortgage lender needs to give you permission before you can let your property, and they may impose special conditions. If you are buying a property with the intention of letting it out, you may be able to obtain a buy to let mortgage.

What are my obligations surrounding gas?

A landlords gas safety certificate is required a must be in place prior to tenants taking possession of the property. A landlord’s gas safety certificate is to ensure that all gas appliances, pipes and flues are in safe working order. It must be carried out by a qualified Gas Safe Register engineer. This needs to be checked every 12 months.

What happens to my tenant's deposit?

Landlords and letting agents are required to register tenants’ deposits with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. At Ross & Liddell we register deposits with a scheme Safe Deposit Scotland. The deposit is then held by the deposit scheme. The Tenancy Deposit Scheme is there to protect the tenant’s money and help to resolve any disputes at the end of the tenancy.

What if I want to gain possession of my property?

Relevant notices would have to be served on your tenants which would bring their tenancy to an end. Call 0141 334 3670 and one of our qualified ARLA agents will explain in full  

What if the tenant damages the property?

The tenant should report to you any damage to furniture or fittings immediately. You should then both agree how any replacement or repair is to be arranged and how payment will be made

If the tenant doesn't advise of the damage and replaces or repairs an item without prior agreement, then you should be able to identify this when you come to check the inventory.

You would then be entitled to make a claim to The Tenancy Deposit Scheme to have this amount deducted from the deposit, or take legal action against your tenant for compensation.

What if the tenant doesn't pay?

It is sensible to insure yourself against non-payment of rent. Is to have some sort or rent protection insurance Homelet insurance can provide you with a quote for this service. 

What is a routine visit?

The landlord or the letting agent gives the tenant notice that they will be visiting the property to check it is being looked after, and to check for any potential maintenance issues.

What is ARLA?

The Association of Residential Lettings Agents (ARLA) is the leading professional and regulatory body for letting agents in the UK. ARLA is dedicated to protecting consumers by improving standards and professionalism within the lettings industry. Remember, letting agents are not regulated by law.   

What is the Client Money Protection Scheme (CMP)?

Client Money Protection Scheme (CMP) 

We are also members of the Propertymark Client Money Protection scheme.

Should a Propertymark Protected agent go into administration or misuse your rent, deposit or other funds, Propertymark will reimburse you whether you are a landlord or a tenant.

Our member certificates are available for download under the Landlord and Tenant sections of our Website, they confirm your money is protected by the Propertymark Client Money Protection Scheme and that you can claim back money lost in the event of your letting agent going into administration or misusing your funds.

Who will pay for the TV licence - the landlord or the tenant?

Usually the tenant, though this should be stated in the tenancy agreement. However, if the landlord furnish the property with a TV, they would be expected to pay the licence. We would recommend to our landlords Not to furnished the property with a TV.

Who will pay the council tax - the landlord or the tenant?

The tenant is responsible for the council tax . If the property is standing empty, it is the landlord’s responsibility to pay.

Why do I need an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate, or EPC for short, is a report detailing the energy efficiency of a property. It gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years. All landlords are required to purchase an EPC for a property before they let it.

Why should I have an inventory?

An inventory is a detailed list of the contents and condition of your property taken before the tenant moves in. It is important that if there is a dispute over damage at the end of the tenancy, you have proof of the original condition of the property and its contents.

Why should I use a managing agent?

Choosing a fully managed service allows you to completely relax. You never have to worry about the let. It creates a professional distance between you and the tenancy, and means you can avoid having to deal with all the bad bits like rent arrears and deposit disputes.